A RESTAURANT in the county has been closed after concerns over hygiene standards by health officers.
Environmental health officers visited Royal India, 88 High Street, Linlithgow, last Wednesday (March 21) and discovered the premises in a poor state with no controls over cleaning and disinfection.
The floor of the kitchen was also found to be in a very poor state of repair by the environmental officers inspecting the premises.
Officers served a notice to close the premises immediately.
An environmental health spokesperson said: “Anyone who runs a food business in a way which puts public health at risk will be dealt with severely.
“We appreciate that many businesses may be struggling financially and that this may be leading to a drop in hygiene standards.
“However basic hygiene standards must be maintained at all times.
“The consequences of not doing so present an unacceptable risk to public health.
“Food poisoning is at best extremely unpleasant and at worst fatal.
“The Food Standards Agency have issued new guidance to local authorities that direct our officers to take even tougher action in regard to businesses which we believe put our customers’ health at risk.
“We will continue to work with and support businesses but our first priority is to the health and wellbeing of the people of West Lothian and those who visit our area.”
A court hearing will take place regarding the action to close these premises and in addition a report is being considered for the Procurator Fiscal to take further legal action against this business operator.